Continuing the 48; Mount Pierce (4,310')

Greetings, my dear friends,

We have returned from our California adventure, but there's no time to rest for the weary! This weekend marks our first family camping trip, and we are heading to Crawford Notch Campground with the kids, each bringing a friend. I hope you'll wish us luck! But this trip also presents an opportunity for me to cross off another 4,000-footer from my list.

The plan? Well, the plan is to head up the night before the family and conquer Mount Pierce via the Crawford Path. If you haven't heard of the Crawford Path, I highly recommend looking it up. It is renowned as the oldest continually maintained hiking trail that traverses multiple mountain peaks, ultimately culminating at Mount Washington. However, on this occasion, I won't be undertaking the entire 9-mile trail. Instead, my journey will lead me to the summit of Mount Pierce, standing proudly at 4,310 feet.

This particular route is considered one of the easier options, covering approximately 6.5 miles (out and back) with an elevation gain of 2,398 feet. The weather forecast appears to be in our favor, making it the perfect day to embark on this adventure!

In case I haven't mentioned it yet, this will be my first solo hike. Filled with excitement, I could barely sleep a wink and found myself eagerly ready for a 7 am start.

Quick side note! If you plan to walk the Crawford Path, be sure to bring cash, as the parking lot charges $5 per day.

I hit the trail, breaking in my new boots and utilizing hiking poles for the first time. And let me tell you, I was ecstatic that I did! Overall, this hike proved to be much more enjoyable than Mount Jackson/Mount Webster, and it reminded me of my experience on Lil' Haystack, minus the snow postholing. While the view at the peak was somewhat lacking, there were magnificent vistas in the alpine zone and along the cliffs.

I did learn a valuable lesson—whenever I purchase new footwear, I need to break in the boots beforehand, as they did a number on my feet. On a positive note, it was the first hike where my cardiovascular capacity, rather than leg fatigue, slowed me down. In total, the hike took me approximately 5.5 hours.

This adventure was more than worth it, and I may very well choose the same path to conquer Eisenhower in the near future!

Onwards and Upwards,
The Adventuring TeddyBear 🧸

TidBit: Formerly called Mount Clinton for 19th-century governor DeWitt Clinton of New York, in 1913 it was renamed after President Franklin Pierce, the only president born in New Hampshire, although it was several decades before the name was widely recognized.

The Ranks:

Favorite Hikes:
1. Bear Peak
2. Lil Haystack
3. Pulpit Rock
4. Joshua Tree National Park (Hidden Valley Trail)
5. Mount Jancinto (Dessert View Trail)

The Best NH 4Ks:
1. Mount Pierce
2. Mount Jackson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing the 48 (Pt 5.); Mount Moosilauke (4,817')

Continuing the 48 (Pt 4.); Mount Carrigain (4,683')

Staying Local; Wachusett Mountain (2,006')