Continuing the 48 (Pt 4.); Mount Carrigain (4,683')

Long Time No Talk Adventures!

I typically aim to post weekly updates, but today's post may come as a surprise since I've recently shifted my focus to writing about Talent Acquisition, another passion of mine. Remarkably, the last post you likely read was conceived just an hour prior to this one! I had been grappling with some life challenges and feeling somewhat down, but I was reminded that I am surrounded by many blessings that deserve my gratitude. I had an incredible summer amidst mountainous landscapes, in the company of cherished family and friends, and deep in thought as I tried new things freely. It's time I celebrated the gift that life has bestowed upon me, choosing to focus on the joys rather than dwell on the hardships that hit me. This perspective is what hit me during my trip to the mountains today.

Today's expedition led us to Mount Carrigain, standing tall at 4,683 feet. This mountain boasts two trails leading to its peak, but only one is suitable for day: Signal Ridge. Signal Ridge is a trail with a distinctive character and breathtaking viewpoints, spanning approximately 11 miles round trip and ascending 3,500 feet in elevation. However, it's worth noting that this elevation gain is not evenly distributed. As you'll soon discover, the initial 2.5 miles encompass a more modest 500-700 feet of elevation gain, while the subsequent 3.5 miles challenge you with a substantial 3,000 feet ascent.

Mount Carrigain also holds its reputation as one of the more secluded among the 48 peaks. This became abundantly clear as we navigated a forested road at the break of dawn on Saturday, September 2nd. My grand plan was to reach the mountain by 4:00 AM, allowing us to witness the sunrise atop Signal Ridge. However, as you'll soon learn, my optimism proved to be misguided.

Commencing our hike in the pre-dawn darkness added a new dimension to the adventure. Yet, it quickly became apparent that my body had taken on more than it could handle that day. The first two miles, with their relatively gentle incline, left me gasping for breath. Frequent stops became the norm, transforming what should have been a manageable climb into a demanding six-hour journey, characterized by a focus on placing one foot ahead of the other.

But the effort was rewarded by the views at Signal Ridge, followed by the Observation Tower atop Mount Carrigain. During this torturous journey, Mount Carrigain became my favorite among the 48 peaks, thanks to its distinctive landscape, moderate terrain, and most importantly, two breathtaking rewards.


So, yes, it was a test of my willpower, but it fulfilled every expectation I held. To improve for future hikes, I recognize a couple of key areas for refinement. Firstly, I need to prioritize a restful night's sleep prior to these adventures, as I tackled these 11 miles on a mere 2-3 hours of sleep. Secondly, I must commit to taking my training walks more seriously when I'm unable to engage in regular hiking escapades.

Onwards and upwards,
The Adventuring TeddyBear 🧸 

Tidbit: Mount Carrigain is the 13th highest peak in the White Mountains and is known for its spectacular views. From the Observation Tower you can see 43 of the 47 other 4,000 footers.

The Ranks:

Favorite Hikes:
1. Bear Peak
2. Lil Haystack
3. Pulpit Rock
4. Mount Carrigain
5. Mount Tammany 

The Best NH 4Ks:
1. Mount Carrigain (7/2/23)
2. Mount Pierce (6/30/23)
3. Mount Tecumseh (7/19/23)
4. Mount Jackson (6/3/23)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing the 48 (Pt 5.); Mount Moosilauke (4,817')

Staying Local; Wachusett Mountain (2,006')