The First Snow Trail

Good Morning!

As you may recall from my previous entry, consistency holds a special place in my heart. After all, everyone has a life, and not everyone can hike every single day of the year. So, what's the solution? You do what you can, when you can, and savor every moment!

2022 was an absolute success! I conquered 13 trails of various sizes, lengths, and elevations. But let's not forget the two extraordinary mountain peaks: Bear Peak (Boulder, CO) and Pulpit Rock (Norway)!

And here we are, in 2023! This year was going to be different. Over the winter, I managed to shed more than 30 pounds, and even engaged in some treadmill walking at least once a week! I also took the opportunity to upgrade my hiking gear. I now possess a genuine Osprey Water Backpack and a pair of sturdy Hiking Boots! Why the upgrades, you ask?

First and foremost, let's talk about the Water Backpack! I was previously using a Cotopaxi Water Bag, which, unfortunately, wasn't ideal for longer hikes. The straps were narrow and offered insufficient support, the hip straps didn't fit properly, and Cotopaxi didn't manufacture extenders. On top of that, the weight distribution wasn't balanced. Considering the number of times I ventured out in 2022 (a total of 13 times), I decided it was a worthy investment to prioritize comfort.

Now, onto the hiking shoes. While I still own and cherish my trusty Merrill Trail Shoes, I realized I needed more ankle support for the lofty mountains I intended to conquer in 2022. Consequently, I purchased the Cole Haan Hiking Shoes at the time, which, as you will soon discover, proved to be a disappointing choice.

Now, let's get to the hike itself! Despite growing up in Massachusetts, I swiftly realized that Rhode Island is an entirely different animal when it comes to snow. What I mean is that it rarely snows here! So, when an opportunity presented itself, I seized the moment and embarked on the Purgatory Chasm Trail via State Forest Road & Charley's Loop (covering a distance of 3.2 miles with an elevation gain of 375 feet). This trail is incredibly popular in the Central Mass Region, and I thought it would be the perfect testing ground for my new boots!


In short, the boots turned out to be a letdown, causing massive blisters that popped during my time on the trail. However, the trail itself was absolutely incredible! I am determined to return again and again to experience the beauty of New England's winters.

Onward and Upward,
The Adventuring TeddyBear 🧸 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing the 48 (Pt 5.); Mount Moosilauke (4,817')

Continuing the 48 (Pt 4.); Mount Carrigain (4,683')

Staying Local; Wachusett Mountain (2,006')