Continuing the 48 (Pt 5.); Mount Moosilauke (4,817')


I have to admit, I'm not in shape to hike, but that didn't stop me. Since we last chatted, I decided to compete in powerlifting again. I made this decision in January and competed in May. I couldn't have been happier with my return to the platform. I hit a 1400 lb total, which was 100 lbs more than I expected. However, my fitness deteriorated during the peak weeks, and my weight is at an all-time high. :(

Still, I was determined to make it work. We booked a trip for just a week after the meet without a set plan for which mountain we would hike. A friend suggested Mt. Moosilauke, which turned out to be the perfect hike to start the season. We hiked from Gorge Brook to Carriage Road, covering about 9 miles with 2,500 ft of elevation gain.


We brought the kids for this trip. It was Zach and Collin's first White Mountain hike, and I was thrilled to be a part of that journey. They had talked about it for over a year, and being able to make it happen meant a lot to me. Zach struggled more than he anticipated, so it was nice to hear him admit that we weren't lying about how hard hiking is. It was even better to see Melissa achieve her dream of beating the 16-year-olds up the mountain. He may never live that down, and the fact that Collin carried his bag will be remembered forever.

As for me, it was a challenge. I was in poor cardiovascular shape, as expected, but my body performed much better than I anticipated, and the descent was easier on my joints than usual. The views were stunning, and the weather couldn't have been better. I loved the Carriage Road and might consider it for the ascent next time.


What I want to share more about are the conversations you have while climbing a mountain. These talks happen not just with friends, family, and fellow hikers, but also with those you haven't seen in a long time. Today, I talked with Nana to see how she is doing. We talked about Melissa and Poppy 'O' as well. We reminisced about the sky she painted for the kids' first White Mountain hike. I miss her, but the time she spent in my life was meaningful, and she is never far away when I'm at the summit. ❤️


Onwards and upwards,
The Adventuring TeddyBear 🧸 

Tidbit: Moosilauke has historical significance, as it was home to one of the earliest known ski trails in North America, built in the 1930s by the Dartmouth Outing Club.

The Ranks:

Favorite Hikes:
1. Bear Peak
2. Lil Haystack
3. Pulpit Rock
4. Mount Carrigain
5. Mount Moosilauke 

The Best NH 4Ks:
1. Mount Carrigain (7/2/23)
2. Mount Moosilauke (6/1/23)
3. Mount Pierce (6/30/23)
4. Mount Tecumseh (7/19/23)
5. Mount Jackson (6/3/23)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing the 48 (Pt 4.); Mount Carrigain (4,683')

Staying Local; Wachusett Mountain (2,006')