The First Accent; Lil' Haystack (4,760')

Hey Everyone!

As I entered this year (2023), I was fueled with a strong desire to venture out and explore the wonders of the wilderness. I yearned for my first camping experience, I craved hiking majestic mountains, and above all, I longed to breathe in the crisp, fresh air of nature!

As you heard in my last couple of entires 2022 had its moments, but 2023 has proven to be everything I desired.

Since my last adventure at Purgatory, there hasn't been much to report. The weather has been gloomy, I faced a layoff from work, and I found solace in spending quality time with my family. During that period, I naturally sought solace outdoors. I engaged in trails such as:


1) The Warwick Path, 2.9 Miles & 62ft Elevation
2) Piscataquog River Trail West (NH), 2.2 Miles & 72ft Elevation 
3) Goddard Park, 4.8 Miles & 180ft Elevation 
4) Providence River Walk, 2.4 Miles & 22ft Elevation
5) Kapok Park (FL), 1 Mile & 26ft Elevation
6) John Chestnut Park Loop, 2022 Repeat
7) Russell Crag, 1.77 Miles & 653ft Elevation

And of course, plenty of treadmill walking! However, as the seasons shifted, I knew it was time to turn my aspirations of conquering the Mountains of New Hampshire into a reality.

So, my partner and I decided to head to Franconia in April, without a concrete plan other than tackling a mountain.

Heading there without a plan? Yes, exactly. The only certainty was my desire for hiking. I began researching and stumbled upon Lil' Haystack (7 Miles & 3,034ft Elevation), which was relatively close to our AurBnB. What a peculiar name for a climb that surpassed 3,000 feet in elevation to a peak of 4,760', right? Despite the name, reading about the hike drew parallels to my experience on Bear Peak the previous year. That's when I knew we had found our destination!

The night before our adventure, we relished in a delightful Steak and Cheese Grinder, enjoyed a restful sleep, and woke up brimming with excitement. Off we went to embark on our hike!

I had mapped out the trail, and we would be taking the 'Falling Waters Trail'. I absolutely loved this hike, except for one thing: the snow. I had never done a snow hike before and quickly became acquainted with the concept of "postholing." I stumbled into so many snow-covered holes that reached up to my hips, leaving me black and blue for the following week. Despite that, after roughly 4 hours of persevering through the challenging terrain, we reached the breathtaking summit. The journey was complete!



Onwards and Upwards,
The Adventuring TeddyBear 🧸 

P.S. I now own crampons and poles, ensuring I am fully prepared for next spring's snowy adventures!

TidBit: Despite Lil' Haystack having a peak north of 4000 feet, it is not counted in the New Hampshire 48 4Ks. Why? The Appalachian Mountain Club doesn't consider Little Haystack a "four-thousand footer" because it stands less than 200 ft (61 m) above the col on the ridge from Lincoln.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing the 48 (Pt 5.); Mount Moosilauke (4,817')

Continuing the 48 (Pt 4.); Mount Carrigain (4,683')

Staying Local; Wachusett Mountain (2,006')