The 'First' 4000 Footer; Mount Jackson (4,052')

Hello Treckers,

As you might recall from the previous post, we successfully conquered our first New Hampshire Mountain (Lil' Haystack), and that ignited an even greater passion within me to return! I finally outfitted my truck (a dream I had cherished for longer than this particular goal) with a Decked System, a cozy mattress, and some comfortable pillows. With everything prepared, we hit the road!

While I was eager to explore the vastness of public lands through overlanding, my partner wasn't as enthusiastic. Consequently, we opted to book a stay at the delightful Crawford Notch Campground. The moment we arrived at my very first camping experience, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of excitement. The tranquility, the crackling fire, the inviting hammock, the delicious food—everything about being outdoors brought me immense peace and contentment. But before I knew it, it was time to embark on our hike.

We woke up early, aiming for a 9 am start (although I have since learned that's later than I prefer), prepared a hearty breakfast, and set off on our adventure! On this particular day, we had planned to conquer our first New Hampshire 4,000-footer, Mount Jackson, via the Mount Webster/Mount Jackson Loop. This loop would lead us to two mountain peaks, with Mount Jackson standing tall at 4,052 feet, while the trail itself covered approximately 7.5 miles with an elevation gain of 2,385 feet. Although I didn't start tracking and documenting until after this trail, it took us about 7 hours to complete, including the time we spent savoring the stunning views at the peaks.


Let me be honest—the trail was one I wouldn't eagerly choose to hike again. It consisted of relentless rocks upon rocks, with no respite of flat dirt to give my knees a break. However, what did I learn from this challenging experience?

Firstly, I realized I needed to carry more water and ensure an adequate intake of salt. To address this, I now bring 5 liters of water (with 2.5 liters mixed with salt) for each 4,000-footer hike.

Secondly, it became clear that I needed new boots! Despite my attempts to patch up and bandage the Cole Haan boots, the blisters only worsened this time around. After completing this hike, we headed to the REI Anniversary sale, where I purchased a reliable pair of Keens.

Thirdly, I understood the importance of hiking poles. I made the mistaken assumption that because the elevation gain was "only" 2,000 feet, I wouldn't require them. Boy, was I wrong! My 300-pound frame definitely benefited from the added support.

Lastly, it was time to invest in a larger backpack for these longer hikes. We opted for a Gregory 42L pack, which I'll be using on future excursions.

Overall, despite my disdain for the trail itself, my love for the mountains only deepened. I'm already in the midst of planning my next 4,000-footer hike, and I can't wait to return to the grandeur of the mountains once again!
Onwards and Upwards,
The Adventuring TeddyBear 🧸 

The Ranks:

Favorite Hikes:
1. Bear Peak
2. Lil Haystack
3. Pulpit Rock

The Best NH 4Ks
1. Mount Jackson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing the 48 (Pt 5.); Mount Moosilauke (4,817')

Continuing the 48 (Pt 4.); Mount Carrigain (4,683')

Staying Local; Wachusett Mountain (2,006')