Staying Local; Wachusett Mountain (2,006')

Greetings, Adventurers!

As you might have noticed, since my layoff, I've been doing an excellent job of staying busy. Week after week, I find myself venturing out of the house or even out of the state! However, this week, although back from my adventures in New Hampshire, California, and Vegas, I'm not ready to rest just yet. Instead, I'm preparing to head to the Poconos for my daughter's Dance Nationals! But before that, what should I do?

I'll be honest; I was a bit apprehensive about packing up, driving three hours, hiking for 5+ hours, and then attempting to drive back home. So, the idea of conquering another 4,000-footer seemed a bit daunting. Instead, I chose to do something I've wanted to do for a while—hike Wachusett Mountain. While Wachusett might not be as big, scary, or challenging as the hikes I've done in NH, it's always been in my backyard (I spent most of my life in Central Massachusetts), and yet, I've never hiked it! So, this weekend was THE weekend!

On Saturday morning, I woke up with excitement, ready for a 7 am hike. I set off on the hour-long drive and arrived at the trailhead right on time! My plan was to follow the Bolton Pond, Semuhenna, and Old Indian Loop. I chose this loop as it would add a few extra miles and a bit more elevation to the trip. Normally, this loop covers 4 miles with an elevation gain of 1,082 feet.

Off I went on the trail, once again venturing solo. At the start, I worried the trail would be washed out due to shin-height mud and large water puddles on the Bolton section. However, I pressed on, hoping the conditions would improve. And they did! When I reached the famous Balancing Rock, the mud seemed to magically disappear, and I found myself making better progress.


I made excellent time going up, but somewhere along the way, I missed a turn and added about a quarter-mile to the trail. Once I realized the misstep, I reached the summit! Unfortunately, the views were obscured by clouds, so I didn't get to witness the renowned vistas I had heard about. What a bummer! However, I decided to add about a mile to my loop and take the less steep section back down, making this an out-and-back trail instead of a loop. It turned out to be a fantastic decision, one I'll likely make whenever I have a similar choice in the future!


Overall, the 5-5.5 mile hike took about 2.5 hours, setting a new personal pace record for me! However, I would never do the Bolton Pond section again; the trail was a mess due to the mud and bugs!

Onward to the Poconos! And I'm already craving more adventures!!

Onwards and Upwards,
The Adventuring TeddyBear 🧸 

The Ranks:

Favorite Hikes:
1. Bear Peak
2. Lil Haystack
3. Pulpit Rock
4. Joshua Tree National Park (Hidden Valley Trail)
5. Mount Jancinto (Dessert View Trail)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continuing the 48 (Pt 5.); Mount Moosilauke (4,817')

Continuing the 48 (Pt 4.); Mount Carrigain (4,683')